Pages

Search This Blog

Life after Harry Potter

I took a well-deserved break this weekend to do what most of the rest of the world was doing - reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'd ordered it online from Amazon (only because I had a GC) and got it late Saturday afternoon, despite not springing for expedited shipping and with a book-arrival prediction date of July 26. I'd have expired from suspense had it really been that long. But thank you, Amazon and USPS for such wonderful work and getting me my book before time! I sat with my nose buried in the book and managed to finish reading it by Sunday 1 pm despite interruptions such as feeding the family, catching some sleep etc.

No, I'm not going to post any spoilers here. Suffice to say, this book was well worth the wait despite the somewhat anti-climactic abundance of accurate spoilers pre-release. The way the series ended left me with more questions than answers. Rowling is content to let readers imagine some (that I feel is critical) stuff instead of spelling out clearly what happens afterwards. I really really hate this technique of writing. While it effectively maintains the suspense and leaves the author a convenient loophole for writing a sequel sometime in the future, it torments bookworms like myself. Does anyone else feel the same way?


Yes, some beloved characters do die, as Rowling kept warning readers again and again for the past some 2 years. But are kids and adults today so fragile as to be traumatized because of it?! Do they really require a help hotline for it?!!!!! I feel this is going totally overboard even for overreaction. BookNinja puts it beautifully and I quote "Psychologists and kids help lines prepare for onslaught of distressed children in the wake of Harry Potter 7. What has our world come to? If hostile carnivorous aliens arrive in the next 50 years and these kids are in charge, then we deserve to be fricasseed and served up with a side of chips aboard a luxury cruise liner in the stars. A little backbone, please." Amen, BookNinja!

Having finished reading this book, I feel at somewhat loose ends. What next? Everything seems pale and listless, dreary and tired. I feel like I've lost a beloved friend and surrounded as I am by pragmatists and non-bookworms who don't feel the same way as I do, I feel I have no one to mourn with. But it is bereavement of the literary sort. Harry's books are over, what do I have to look forward to reading in the years to come? Will another series ever have the same impact, or will they all feel like pale imitations? The movies based on the series are consolation prizes at best.

Life goes on, and I have to go with it. So...
Adieu Harry, Hermoine, Ron, Hagrid, Ginny, and all the other Weasleys.
Goodbye Neville, Luna, Cho, and the Patil twins.
So long, Professors McGonagall, Flitwick and Sprout.
See you, Hogwarts.


6 comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Also, I feel your pain! I finished the last book yesterday evening, and I'm still kind of ... stunned, I guess. Reading the last page was kind of a bittersweet moment.

    It may be time to reread them from the beginning, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed her best book ever and I'm sad to see such a wonderful series come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home and Hearth : REread from the beginning? Yes, that sounds ideal. That'll probably make for the loss, somewhat. I'll try it. Thanks for the idea!

    Felicia : Amen. Will any children's series ever attract us again to such an extent, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly hope that another will captivate the world as entirely as Harry did. How else are we going to recover from this? It's been ten long years and now the umbilical has been cut and you've been shoved out of the house all in one night.

    But, if I may, I'd suggest some Nora Jones. I started read her Circle Trilogy a while back (which was unceremoniously interrupted by Mr Potter ;D) and it does make for a compelling read. So I'd say, read Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts (it's book one).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robyn, is that Nora Jones or Nora Roberts? Lol, I love both. Never mind, I'll try them together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Major blush moment there! Sorry, was listening to Miss Jones at the point in time. Yes, it WAS meant to be Nora ROBERTS!! Whoopsie! and aye, both together would work very nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Glad you stopped by!

 

About Me

Hi, I'm Rashmi and this is my blog which has undergone various transformations through the years. I blog about whatever interests me, and when I have some free time, a commodity that has become increasingly precious. Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to leave a comment.

My email:
callmeabookworm@gmail.com

Follow by Email

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *