Whoever said, 'Music soothes the savage beast', knew what she was talking about! After a day of running and picking and cleaning up after my kids and family, a day filled with chaotic sounds and noises, I like to unwind with a little music. Just slip in a cd and loose all my cares in melodious notes. Like I did the other day with Grammy Award-winning violinist Joshua Bell's latest album, At Home With Friends.
As you may already know (from seeing him on Sesame Street perhaps!), Bell has been in the spotlight since he was 14 years old and now, 20 years and 30 original albums later, he has the public’s attention like no other classical violinist of his time, captivating audiences worldwide. I'd never had the pleasure of listening to him before, but I'm now a fan having listened to At Home With Friends.
At Home With Friends covers all of genres, from classical to pop, bluegrass to Broadway, jazz and ethnic World Music. There are even a couple of seasonal tracks in there, just in time to celebrate the holidays. The tracks aroused a variety of emotions from calmness to contemplative to dancing to cheerful and more. Even my kids joined me in boogeying to track number 5, Para Ti featuring Tiempo Libre, our new favorite!
With this new album, Joshua fulfilled a life-long career dream of recording a CD of instrumental and vocal duets with an amazing roster of musicians and friends. Just check out the track list:
- I Loves You Porgy featuring Chris Botti, trumpet
- Come Again featuring Sting, vocals
- Oblivion featuring Carel Kraayenhof, bandoneon
- Cinema Paradiso featuring Josh Groban, vocals
- Para Tí featuring Tiempo Libre, various
- My Funny Valentine featuring Kristin Chenoweth, vocals
- Maybe So featuring Edgar Meyer Sam Bush and Mike Marshall, strings
- Grieg: Sonata No. 3 featuring Sergei Rachmaninoff (Zenph re-performance)
- Eleanor Rigby featuring Frankie Moreno, piano & vocals
- O, Cease Thy Maiden Fair featuring Nathan Gunn, baritone
- Il Postino featuring Carel Kraayenhof, bandoneon
- Left Hand Song featuring Regina Spektor, piano & vocals
- Chovendo Na Roseira featuring Dave Grusin, piano
- Look Away featuring Edgar Meyer, bass and Chris Thile, mandolin
- Variant Moods: Duet for Sitar & Violin featuring Anoushka Shankar, sitar
- I'll Take Manhattan featuring Marvin Hamlisch, piano
- Left Hand featuring Regina Spektor, vocals (this fan-favorite has never been recorded before!)
Check out these links :
- Order At Home With Friends.
- Check out Joshua's Facebook page
- Joshua’s website: http://www.joshuabell.com
One lucky winner will win this CD!
- Click here for a sneak peak and tell me which track's your favorite!
- Your email address should be within your comment in the format - abc AT xyz DOT com.
Please leave a NEW comment for each extra entry you do.
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Bookworm Mom's Diary Feed
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Bookworm Mom's Diary Email Updates
- 1 ENTRY - Add the A Bookworm Mom's Diary Button (see right sidebar) to your blog
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Bookworm Mom's Diary text link to your blog roll
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Bookworm Mom's Diary to your Technorati Favorites
- 1 ENTRY - Become a fan of A Bookworm Mom's Diary on Facebook
- 1 ENTRY - Follow this blog
- DAILY ENTRY - Follow A Bookworm Mom's Diary on Twitter AND tweet this giveaway @callmeabookworm
- 10 ENTRIES - Blog about this giveaway including links to the Sponsor and this giveaway
- UNLIMITED ENTRIES - Comment on any non-giveaway post. Comment here with the title of that post for each you do.
Deadline Midnight CST of November 1, 2009.
Eligibility US only.
Please read the Disclaimer. Good luck!
*** This product was received for review consideration. No other compensation was provided. The information provided here at the A Bookworm Mom's Diary blog is for entertainment purposes only and reflect only the personal opinion of this blogger. Readers of this blog reading and/or using any of the information they glean here, do so at their own risk. ***
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.