Pages

Search This Blog

Visual Journey through Infant Nutrition

I wrote this review while participatng in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Mead Johnson. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.
breastfeedingWhen I first learnt I was pregnant, the first thought that stuck me was a panic-stricken : Oh God, how will I properly take care of an infant? What will I feed it?

Recently, a remarkable new website was unveiled - InfantNutritionCenter.com - which takes us on a unique and powerful visual journey through infant nutrition and development. As soon as you go the site, you can see a video  with amazing visuals that reveals how proper nutrition shapes development and how individual nutrients affect the senses, bone formation, and the immune system of infants. I especially liked how the data and other aspects are visually depicted in 3-D images, and that kept me watching fascinated the whole time the video was running. I was also able to read about latest research findings and explore more about them through accompanying video, pictures, and graphics.

Things I personally didn't know and newly learned at this site :
  • In an infant's first year of life, the baby's brain will nearly triple in size.
  • Breast milk is rich in intestinal growth factors and other components that help establish the colonization of the GI tract by beneficial bacteria, which in turn help the intestinal lining mature as well as prevent the spread of pathogenic microbes. 
  • While the developing fetus depends on the blood glucose from the mother to supply its carbohydrate needs, a newborn relies primarily on lactose from breast milk. 
  • Bone begins its development at six weeks gestation as tightly wound chains of the protein collagen. Minerals from the blood join the protein structure and begin hardening into the extraordinarily strong living material that comprises bone.
  • Infants use 60% of the calories they consume for brain development.  
  • I took special comfort from this - Though it might seem like small comfort to bleary-eyed parents in the middle of the night, the changing sleep-wake patterns of their infants represent baby brains hard at work.
Developed as a resource for Moms, the website brings together information from leading health centers and researchers across the country to explain how nutrition is crucial to infant development. And although Mead Johnson, the makers of the Enfamil brand of formula, are the sponsors for this site, the site itself has nothing to do with endorsing their products. In fact, it's part of VisualMD, a site that offers a rich, visual experience on a variety of health issues.

I'd encourage anyone interested in infants and nutrition (and not just new or would-be parents) to check out InfantNutritionCenter.com. It's truly fascinating to see in what simple yet complex ways, a baby develops and what we can do to affect this miraculous change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

3 comments

  1. Thank you for posting, very intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food nutrition facts whic are essential to know. Here I have created some concise flashcards, hope you find them useful.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Glad you stopped by!

 

About Me

Hi, I'm Rashmi and this is my blog which has undergone various transformations through the years. I blog about whatever interests me, and when I have some free time, a commodity that has become increasingly precious. Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to leave a comment.

My email:
callmeabookworm@gmail.com

Follow by Email

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *