Pages

Search This Blog

Help prevent Cervical Cancer


I remember the first time I heard about the HPV vaccine was also the first time I ever heard about cervical cancer. That a cancer can be prevented from a vaccine still seems miraculous to me. Especially since Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer affecting women worldwide.

But I always thought HPV vaccines are for girls and young women ages 9–26 to help protect against the two types of HPV that are most commonly associated with cervical cancer. As it turns out, that's not all!



Cervical cancer is most common in women who are older than 30, because HPV infections are more likely to be persistent at this stage. That's why it's now recommended that women age 30 and over get a regular HPV test along with their Pap. So as Moms we must protect not only our daughters, but also ourselves from this disease.

HPV testing can identify if you have one of the "high-risk" infections on your cervix that can cause cervical cancer. That's why it's now recommended that women age 30 and over get a regular HPV test along with their Pap. However not all doctors automatically use both tests. That is why it is essential that women act as their own health advocates. So ask your doctor for that test, if they're not already doing it.

In the meantime, you can learn more about HPV testing at www.theHPVtest.com. Here you can watch doctor-produced videos, browse frequently-asked-questions, access tips on "what your test results mean" and download/link to educational materials. You can also get some advice on having a mother-daughter discussion on HPV and cervical cancer, as well as sign up for a reminder to ask about cervical cancer prevention and HPV testing at your next GYN visit. Stay up to date by following them on Twitter: @HPVinformed and on their Facebook page: http://bit.ly/HPVTestFB

I'd love to know what your thoughts are about this subject and the site as well. So, don't forget to comment!

Disclosure - I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of the QIAGEN digene HPV test. Mom Central also sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Glad you stopped by!

 

About Me

Hi, I'm Rashmi and this is my blog which has undergone various transformations through the years. I blog about whatever interests me, and when I have some free time, a commodity that has become increasingly precious. Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to leave a comment.

My email:
callmeabookworm@gmail.com

Follow by Email

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *